Learn

The forum of documents and methods for studying - Lượm lặt kiến thức

Cách hỏi "ăn cơm trưa chưa" bằng tiếng Anh

congdantoancau

Tổng số bài gửi : 633
    Tiền xu Ⓑ : 1732
    Được cảm ơn № : 27
    Ngày khởi sự Ngày khởi sự : 12/05/2014

Cách hỏi "ăn cơm trưa chưa" bằng tiếng Anh Empty Cách hỏi "ăn cơm trưa chưa" bằng tiếng Anh

Bài gửi by congdantoancau 14th December 2015, 23:14

Situation: At 12.30 I have my lunch. At 3.00 O'clock someone is going to ask me wheather I had my lunch or not, which one of the following is correct in this situation-

-Have you eaten your lunch?
    -Did you eat your lunch?

1st July 2010

Both are correct.

Have you eaten your lunch? is more common when the intent is to have lunch together at 3 if he hasn't eaten his lunch yet. That's because "Have you eaten?" is more likely to be used when you are currently in a situation that may change depending on the answer. This is called "current relevance".

Did you eat your lunch? is more common when there is no current relevance. Maybe you talked to this person earlier and he said he was going to have lunch soon and would meet you later -- at 3. So you expect that he had lunch by the time he met you at 3, and you're just verifying that he ate his lunch, not expecting to do anything as a result of his having or not having lunch.

englishforums.com
    congdantoancau

Tổng số bài gửi : 633
    Tiền xu Ⓑ : 1732
    Được cảm ơn № : 27
    Ngày khởi sự Ngày khởi sự : 12/05/2014

Cách hỏi "ăn cơm trưa chưa" bằng tiếng Anh Empty Re: Cách hỏi "ăn cơm trưa chưa" bằng tiếng Anh

Bài gửi by congdantoancau 14th December 2015, 23:16

Did you have your lunch?
    Have you had your lunch?
    Did you eat your lunch?
    Have you eaten your lunch?

Which one is correct ?

While they are all correct, there are slight nuances of difference amongst them.

For example, there is a sort of parental tone to "Did you eat your lunch?" I can hear this coming out of the mouth of a parent to a child, or of a nurse to a patient. The person really wants to know about the ingestion of lunch! The tone is a bit more demanding -- ever so slightly imperious.

OTOH, "Have you had your lunch?" is somewhat more polite -- something a co-worker might ask another worker to see if this has occurred. The interest is more in the occurrence of lunch-time than the activity of eating.

thefreedictionary.com

Hôm nay: 26th April 2024, 21:15